Easy Mason Jar Salad July 18 2017, 0 Comments
Mason jar salads are one of my favorite discoveries. I like to eat healthy lunches, but tend to run late in the mornings. A little bit of meal prep on Sunday evening makes the work week mornings much smoother. This salad is a go-to of mine because it is simple, healthy and delicious. If you are new to mason jar salads, here are some general tips before I get into this particular recipe:
- Start with the dressing.
- Layering is key- add the denser items first and greens at the top. Pack the layers tightly to help the salad stay fresh longer.
- Store the jars upright so that the dressing remains at the bottom.
- How to eat it: pour all of the contents of the jar into a bowl and enjoy :)
Tomato Feta Salad with Quinoa
Prep time: 45 min
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 1 16oz mason jar
- 5 cups mixed greens/spinach
- 5 tsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa
- 5 tbsp shredded carrots
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 large bell pepper
- 5 oz balsamic vinaigrette
- Cook the quinoa: Place a pot containing 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of dry quinoa on a burner on high heat until the water starts to boil, then turn to lower heat and cover for about 15 minutes. Once the quinoa is fluffy, set aside to cool off.
- Prep the veggies: cut the grape tomatoes in half, chop the bell pepper, shred the carrots.
- Layer the ingredients evenly across 5 mason jars, in this order: balsamic vinaigrette, bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, quinoa, feta cheese, sunflower seeds, greens.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy all week long!