Roasted Chickpea, Farro and Arugula Mason Jar Salad February 22 2021, 0 Comments
Even though a lot of us are continuing to work from home, mason jar salads are still a great lunch option. While we're not grabbing them for a quick lunch on the go, meal prepping still saves a lot of time and hassle throughout the week. So I thought I'd share my current favorite mason jar salad recipe.
I love an excuse to roast some chickpeas and I choose to pair them with farro, which contains more fiber than other grains like rice and even quinoa, and is high in protein. This salad is full of other interesting flavors and textures, like the cranberries and sunflower seeds. Here's the full recipe.
Prep time: 1 hour
Serving Size: 1 16oz mason jar
- 2 cups of uncooked chickpeas
- 1 cup of dry farro
- 4 cups of arugula
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- garlic powder
- Roast the Chickpeas: preheat the oven to 450 degrees; drain the chickpeas and blot dry; mix in a bowl with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper; spread out on a baking pan; bake for 30-40 minutes until crispy and brown.
- Cook the farro: rinse 1 cup of farro then place in a pot and add 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and then refrigerate.
- Make the salad dressing: combine the olive oil, juice from 1 lemon, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir. (depending on how much dressing you like, you may double this recipe)
- Layer the ingredients evenly across 5 16oz mason jars in this order: dressing, dried cranberries, farro, chickpeas, arugula, cheese, sunflower seeds.
- Store upright in the fridge and enjoy all week long!