Farro and Chickpea Mason Jar Salad February 08 2018, 0 Comments
Every time I make a new mason jar salad recipe I think it's my favorite the entire week I enjoy it. This salad is no different. And it's packed with nutrients, especially from the two stars of the salad. Farro contains more fiber than other grains like rice and even quinoa, and it's high in protein. Chickpeas are also high in both protein and fiber and contain several essential vitamins and minerals. Here are the instructions:
- 4 cups of mixed greens
- 2 cups of uncooked chickpeas
- 1 cup of dried farro
- 1/2 of a cucumber
- 1 1/2 cup of grape tomatoes
- 1/4 of a red onion
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese
- 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
- 5oz olive oil and vinegar dressing
- Start by cooking the farro: rinse 1 cup of farro then place in a pot and add 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and then refrigerate.
- While the farro is cooking, start roasting the chickpeas: preheat the oven to 450 degrees; drain the chickpeas and blot dry; mix in a bowl with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper; spread out on a baking pan; bake for 35-40 minutes until crispy and brown. Refrigerate until cool.
- Prep the other ingredients: cut the tomatoes in half and chop the cucumber and tomatoes.
- Layer the ingredients evenly among 5 mason jars in this order: dressing, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, farro, cheese, chickpeas, mixed greens, sunflower seeds.
- Store upright in the fridge and enjoy all week long!