Wild Rice & Roasted Chickpea Mason Jar Salad November 01 2017, 0 Comments
This mason jar salad is a combination of foods that remind me of fall. Besides, being tasty, this salad is packed with nutrients. Just to name a few: chickpeas are high in both protein and fiber and contain several essential vitamins and minerals. Wild rice takes longer to cook than other types of rice, but it makes up for it with its added antioxidants and protein. Pine nuts also contain a variety of vitamins and antioxidants. While drying cranberries reduces their vitamin content, they still are high in fiber and antioxidants.
Hopefully you enjoy this salad as much as I am while I'm writing this! Here's the recipe:
Prep time: 1 hour
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 1 16oz mason jar
- 5 cups of kale and spinach
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of dry wild rice
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 2 pears
- 5 oz of olive oil and vinaigrette
- Pinches of salt and pepper and a teaspoon of olive oil to roast the chickpeas
- Start by cooking the wild rice since it will take the longest time: bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Then stir in the wild rice, reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes. For a softer texture, cook a bit longer and for a firmer texture, cook for a shorter time. Once you like the texture, remove from heat, drain the extra water, if necessary, and set aside to cool down.
- While the rice is cooking, start roasting the chickpeas: preheat the oven to 450 degrees; drain the chickpeas and blot dry; mix in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper; spread out on a baking pan; bake for 35-40 minutes until brown. Refrigerate until cool.
- Chop the pear.
- Layer the ingredients evenly across 5 mason jars in this order: dressing, pear, cranberries, wild rice, cheese, chickpeas, kale/spinach, pine nuts.
- Add lids and store vertically in the fridge and enjoy all week long!